Saturday, September 18, 2010

Mar Lee pancake tent earns over $7,200 at Calhoun County Fair

The numbers are in, and the Mar Lee sponsored pancake tent at the Calhoun County Fair once again raised a significant contribution to the school. This year the tent was staffed in the morning by the 7th grade class to raise money for their upcoming trip to Washington, DC. "12 out of 27 seventh-graders were able to earn enough to pay for their trip in full," said Chris Henke, Mar Lee social studies teacher and pancake tent organizer, "Another 11 students earned enough to pay a significant portion of their trip." In the afternoon and evening the Mar Lee teachers took over with the goal of raising money for technology improvements for the school. The technology fundraiser netted over $2,500 of the total, Henke said. Many Mar Lee teachers enjoyed volunteering during the week. "I loved being the griller at the pancake tent," said Stacy Tucker, Mar Lee English Language Arts teacher. "I enjoyed working with students & staff for a wonderful cause. I think it is vital we can keep our technology updated for the benefit of our students. I plan on updating my grilling tools for next year too!!" Tucker said. In the end, some less well known denizens of the Fair found a home at the pancake tent as well. At the end of the week, as the tent was being disassembled, a baby skunk was found living under the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.